Ben has been performing and teaching with Salsabor since 2006, and is currently a Bachata instructor with the company. Ben’s enthusiasm and talent has earned him the reputation of one of the most well respected and sort after dancer in the Canberra Salsa scene. He has a unique and elegant style of dancing Salsa; very passionate and full of energy. “…I put my heart and soul in every step… My greatest reward whenever I dance is to see that glitter in my partner’s smile.”
Ben was first introduced to Salsa by his younger sister Angela, who for many years, practiced and danced with the Sydney Dance Company and Urban Dance Centre in Sydney. Angela has been a huge inspiration to her older brother through other dance forms like Hip-Hop, RnB and Funk. But it wasn’t until an invitation to check out one of Sydney’s hot Latin night clubs did Ben begin to understand how beautiful Salsa dancing is. And so on that night of October 16, 2004, Ben’s passion for Salsa was ignited.
Ben’s interest in music and dance began when he was 16. He was active in choir and was also a member of a Hip-Hop and RnB dance group, “X-ibition” which he formed with his friends in 1994. Most of their performances took place locally for special occasions such as weddings, birthdays, anniversaries and other celebrations up until late 1996.
Originally from the Philippines, he moved to Australia with his family in 1991. After a few years of study in Architecture at University of Technology Sydney, he decided to change career and move to Canberra to study Bachelor of Graphic Design, which he completed in 2005. Ben’s undying passion for creativity has led him to start his business in 2008. Ben is the Creative Director of a multimedia firm in Canberra, 372 Digital (www.372digital.com.au); specialising in Web Design and Development, Graphic Design and Photography.
- Sydney Salsa Congress, Performed – 2006, 2007, 2009 and 2010
- The Latin Tribe, Choreographed, Performed and Instructed – 2008
- National Folk Festival Choreographed, Performed and Instructed – 2007
- National Museum Canberra, Choreographed and Performed – 2007
- Latin Fusion, Dance Team Instructor, Choreographed and Performed – 2006 and 2007
- Los Angeles West Coast Salsa Congress, Dance Team Instructor and Performed – 2006
- Sydney Latin Dance Corroboree, Performed – 2005